Friday 19 November 2010






There are a handful of international creators currently working in the world of comics who always, always, ALWAYS have the power to get us Etheringtons excited. And of those outstanding writers and artists few have as much pull as the pairing of Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa, creators of the outstanding series Sky Doll, the supremely popular W.I.T.C.H franchise and the Monster Allergy graphic novels.

I remember first stumbling upon their work in a fantastic comic shop in Lausanne, Switzerland. The energy, design, colour palette, personality and story telling of Sky Doll just blew me away and I've since sought out every french and english incarnation of the books (if you're listening, guys - hurry up and finish volume 4!)

It's a special day, therefore, when a new book arrives bearing the name of either creator, and Barbucci has just delivered some extremely tasty goods!

Behold .... CHOSP VOLUME ONE!























Now I have absolutely NO idea what this series is about as I'm yet to get my hands on a copy and painstakingly translate it (with the semi-tolerant help of my french-fluent wife) but this is my kind of pretty!

Here are the opening pages for your pleasure - you can probably see why Lorenzo and I love this stuff...

















The book is packed with all kinds of high-octane nonsense and outrageous invention. Barbucci is a masterful artist (and, rather annoyingly, a very talented writer) and this 128 page beauty looks really rather darned marvelous!

Look at this pencil magic... 






















If you are searching for originality and wonder in the world of comics (and you own all OUR books - hoho) then Chosp is sure to please.

And don't let the fact that it's in French bother you. Language barriers collapse under the might of sequential story-telling ... which is one more reason why comics have never been so much fun!